Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

My goodness, my last post was September 3rd? I've gone through a lot of books since then. I'll see if I can remember them all. 


I picked up The Forgotten Garden because I overheard a couple of women talking about it by the book rack in our pharmacy. I'm as much a sucker for books as kids are for candy that's sitting just at their heights in the checkout stands. I picked up the book to look at the back and the minute I saw that it takes place in Cornwall, England I had to have it - being Cornish myself. It's fiction, of course, but I rely on the writers to describe what the places are like as well. 

I loved this book. It spanned 4 generations basically. The main character was told at 21 years old that she'd Been found by the dock master sitting all by herself with no one claiming her. He took her home with him, not wanting to leave her alone in a strange country (Australia) and she was eventually just adopted by the family. 

As a middle age woman she went looking into the mystery of who she was. She got some answers and bought a cottage overlooking the sea that tied into her mystery. She never did solve the mystery of who she really was before she died but her grand daughter took up where she had left off and the mystery was eventually solved. And what a convoluted story. I was almost at the end of the book before I realized what had happened. It's one of those books where you keep guessing but then eventually that theory goes out the window by something that happens in the plot. 

It was very interesting, fun to read and an easy read. I haven't read any more of her books. She has three others out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment