Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Joanne Fluke - Hannah Swenson Series

More books involving food. I started reading these books in 2003. I know I did cause I was in a bidding war for a copy of Lemon Meringue Pie murder on eBay and in my stubborness to get it I paid more than I'd wanted to.
I have to admit I started to read these books because of the titles and the cute pictures on the book jackets. I decided to read them in order and was a bit iffy after reading her first book. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder. It seemed kind of blah and amatuerish. Then I read Strawberry Shortcake Murder cause the Chocolate Chip one was good enough to look at giving the books another try and I haven't looked back since. I'm totally addicted to them now.

Hannah Swenson is a 30's something single woman who owns and runs The Cookie Jar in Lake Eden, Minnesota. There are lots of recipes for dessert lovers and hints on how to change existing recipes to give them a new twist.

Her cat, Moishe, is a big yellow ball of flying fur that she found abandoned and took in. He's an affectionate and friendly cat unless Hannah's mother comes over. He shows his displeasure of her by tearing her expensive silk stockings to shreds. He also can sense when it is her mother calling her. He puffs up and his fur stands on end. Hannah never has to wonder who's on the phone when she calls.

Hannah has a bad habit of tripping over dead bodies, which usually are in the midst of eating one of her creations... thus the titles. This embarrasses her mother no end because she's afraid that men won't be attracted to a woman with that habit. Quite the contrary. Hannah has two men in her life vying for her affection. I know who'd I choose for her - who would you choose?

1. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (2000)
2. Strawberry Shortcake Murder (2001)
3. Blueberry Muffin Murder (2002)
4. Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (2003)
5. Fudge Cupcake Murder (2004)
6. Sugar Cookie Murder (2004)
7. Peach Cobbler Murder (2005)
8. Cherry Cheesecake Murder (2006)
9. Key Lime Pie Murder (2007)
10. Carrot Cake Murder (2008)
11. Candy Cane Murder (2008) (with other stories)
12. Cream Puff Murder (2009)
13. Plum Pudding Murder (2009)

Apple Turnover Murder (2010) is the next book in the series and I'll be getting to it also when I finish my other books I have stocked up.

1 comment: